The contents of this page, and all links appearing on this page, do not represent the positions, views or intents of the U.S. Government, or the United States Peace Corps.

sábado, 25 de mayo de 2013

Learning Miskitu


I haven't actually learned a lot of Miskitu, but I have been picking up a few words here and there.  Many of the girls in the shelter speak only Miskitu and not Spanish, so they have taught me a few things.  I have learned some greetings--for example, "how are you" is "nakisma" to which you respond "pain," which is pronounced like "fine" but with a "p" because there is no "f" in the Miskitu language.  I was finally able to upload the video (above) of the same community charla I posted pictures of before, which shows how people mix languages (in this case Miskitu and Spanish).  I still find it mind-boggling that they are able to keep the languages straight yet use them simultaneously.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario